Thursday, February 24, 2011

An Unfailing Companion-- Part 2


Situation 2: The Solitary Journey

The world can be a lonely place when you are an introvert. That I am an introvert, a naturally shy person, is something that has bothered me a lot. More so when I am on my own, travelling to someplace with nothing else to do.

Striking up a conversation with your fellow travelers can be a huge pain when you just end up tongue tied and unable to speak at all with strangers.
The iPod gets boring because after a certain while you cannot bear the music blasting in your ears (no, switching to soft music also doesn't help after an hour or two.)
Yes, looking out of the window can be pretty pleasing because our incredible country is full of sights and surprises at every nook and corner... But what do you do after it turns dark?

Then out comes The Book.
And invariably I lose myself in it, because, the book is my gateway to an unknown exciting world; 17th century Europe, 21st century India, the morbid world of Vampires, the artificial world of socialites and the gruesome world of the Mafia.

Laughing and crying with them, I make my way to my destination and realise that the book has been an unfailing companion to me, yet again.

No comments:

Post a Comment