Thursday, February 24, 2011

Remembering Uncle Pai.....

Dear Uncle Pai,

That summer from 18 years ago is still crystal clear in my mind. That was the summer when I read my very first “Tinkle” and instantly fell in love with it. Lazy afternoons were never the same again.

I giggled at Suppandi’s innocence, went into hysterics reading Shikari Shambhu’s antics, marveled at Kaila’s intelligence and felt sorry for Tantri’s ever failing attempts to grab the throne. I remember thinking wistfully that maybe someday I will get into a sticky situation and send my story to “It happened to me.” Sadly, it never happened to me.

Not surprisingly, even after getting out my teens, Tinkle continues to be my constant companion, ever present in my bag, by my side like a faithful friend.

No one has, till date, managed to explain The Ramayan like you did. I am very proud that I am so well versed in our Indian mythology, all thanks to Amar Chitra Katha.

Uncle, you touched many lives, brightened up countless lazy afternoons and shaped many young lives. Today as you begin your journey into the world beyond, I wish that you become one of the brightest stars and continue to shine upon us forever.

Yours sincerely,

A “Tinkle” & “Amar Chitra Katha” loyalist since age 5 years

6 comments:

  1. Hey there. Discovered your blog through Indiblogger. Learnt more through ACK than through history lessons! Thanks for writing this in memory of the man who blessed us with that knowledge in such a fun way. Do check out my blog too on Amar Chitra Katha that I had written a few months ago. http://richlandtalk.blogspot.com/2010/05/mythology-is-study-of-myths-or-folklore.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Memories are of high value, present for ever and no one can take them away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i miss him too..hes made us kids familiar with the concept of indian cartoons:)))

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah divsi, Tinkle wont be the same without him.. it was a welcome break to read the Desi cartoons :)

    ReplyDelete