Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Book of the Month -- August


The Collected Short Stories


There is something about these rains in Mumbai. The flooded streets and delayed trains give you just another reason to stay back home and curl up on your bed with a cup of hot chocolate and a good book.


My book of the month for the rain drenched month of August is "The Collected Short Stories" by Jeffrey Archer.


I count this book as one of my personal favourite because each story is a masterpiece in itself, captivating you with the quintessential "Archer Style" of the unexpected twist in the plot, intelligent writing and quite humor.


Although all the 36 stories are worthy of at least 3 reads each, I highly recommend "Never Stop on the Motorway", "Do Not Pass Go", "Clean Sweep Ignatius" and "Not the Real Thing".



As each story draws to a close, you will no doubt be mesmerized by Jeffrey Archer's inventiveness and his easy effervescent style.


Last Words: This is a rather thick book and it will last you the entire month. Highly recommended for first time readers, it'll have you hooked on to Jeffrey Archer. This is one book that is not at all put-downable =)



4 comments:

  1. Hey I found your blog while googling "Heidi" ( which used to be one my favourite cartoon show those days) :D and considering the book freak I am , your blog was love at first site.. :D :D

    following you up...!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read Jeffery Aracher's 'Only time wil tell' and eagerly waiting for second part of the book, after reading this book, I added him to my favrt authors list.
    Will surely, try read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wondering if you would be interested in a Literature Fest.

    TATA Literature Live is a Mumbai LitFest which will be held on November 3, 4, 5 and 6 at the National Centre for Performing Arts, Nariman Point. Well-known writers, both international and domestic, have been invited and all four verticals (fiction, non-fiction, poetry and plays) of literature will be represented.

    If you want to attend or participate email me at ayushi.c90@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have written a book “The Redeemers” which has just been launched and it is in the process of finding its way to on-line purchase sites and book stores. The book is about prevailing corruption and malpractices and how a bunch of youngsters understood the gravity of problem and figured out a unique and meticulous plan to fight the menace through some creative ideas and innovative thinking. While the book is issued-based, I have tried to weave it into a gripping and inspiring story. The book is extremely relevant in present day context. A link for a clip of the book is provided here below which would give the perspective of the book:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uS8oqQ_0gus

    It will be an honor to have the book reviewed on your blog. I would appreciate your providing the address where I could courier the book. I may be contacted at taneja_suresh@hotmail.com

    Best Regards,


    Suresh Taneja

    ReplyDelete