Friday, March 25, 2011

The Magical World of Classics-- Heidi


I begin with my fortnightly feature on Classics today.


The first is one of my All Time Favourite classics since Childhood --- "Heidi" written by Johanna Spyri.


It is the story of a little girl named Adelheid, fondly called Heidi, who is an orphan and lives with her Aunt Detie in Germany, until one day when her Aunt decides to take up a lucrative Job offer. Taking up this new job means little time to look after Heidi and so Diete decides to leave Heidi with her formidable and gloomy Grandfather who lives in the pretty little Swiss town of Mayenfeld.


As Heidi begins adjusting to her new life in the Alps, the readers are transported into the delightful and innocent world of children, where everything is harmless and beautiful.


Read this book to experience the beauty of the Swiss Alps and to re-live your carefree childhood days.


Even today whenever I read "Heidi", I find myself wishing that my life was as simple as Heidi's, where every morning would begin with the Fir trees whispering against my windows and I would spend my whole day playing with my pet goats in the mountains having bread and cheese for lunch and dinner (:


Written originally in German, way back in 1880, Heidi was later (thankfully!!) translated into English and continues to mesmerize readers the world over even today.


It is also available as an E-book, legally :)


Download Heidi here : http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1448


Last Words: This one is a sure shot stress buster and after effects of reading Heidi include a temptation to eat cheese at every given opportunity and wanting to run away to the Swiss Alps by the first flight available. Enjoy!!

8 comments:

  1. To be serious...i didnt evn know that it ws an adaptation...but me n my family...including my dad...really enjoyed the animated version...as u said...sure shot stress-buster :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yes Viraj, the animated series that used to come on TV long back was an adaption of the original book... and the producers did justice to the book when they made it into a TV series :)i simply love Heidi, the book and the TV series both!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heidi was the very first book I owned and read. I remember I was very proud of it, it was hardcover with a nice designed jacket. I can still feel the quality paper and smell the printing ink.
    I was raelly impressed. Less from the story, more from having a book :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Pia!! That is such a nice memory!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. you know... in all my years ive seen this book... but neve actually read it.. lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh well Emmy!!! Go, read it!! I highly recommend it to everyone :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved this book when I was young :) Thanks for reminding us of this wonderful book..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heidi made me look forward to saturdays! :) I saw the series first and then read the book only to realise,thankfully,that the animated version is exactly like the book! :D

    ReplyDelete